The parish of Smannell is situated to the north east of Andover, and
incorporates the settlements of East Anton, Finkley, Little London, Smannell, Upper Enham and Woodhouse. settlements are separated by farmland and
interconnected by a matrix of footpaths and roads.
The name Smannell is thought to mean 'The place of
the swineherds', a clearing in the forest where pigs were encouraged to grub out trees and
undergrowth. There has been a settlement at Smannell and nearby Woodhouse since earliest
times. The Saxons lived here and the Romans before them built two of their main highways
through this district, the Portway and Harroway. Now, five roads meet in the centre of the
village by the British Oak Inn.
While Smannell is really only a hamlet there is
the church of Christ Church designed by William White in 1857 and very like his church at
Hatherden nearby. Flint and brick outside with a peculiar bellcote lined with brick
inside and patterned.
The positions of the settlements have their roots in
early history, which has influenced the position of the existing roads and footpaths. Their
historical function was likely to be utilitarian, in terms of access for farm and woodland
and droving of animals etc, or strategic, with respect to the two principal Roman Roads
intersecting on the boundary of the Parish.